Sunday, October 14, 2007

"The Gourmet Next Door"

I just finished watching Amy Finley in the “Gourmet Next Door”. I had medium expectations for the show. I really wanted Amy to win “The Next Food Network Star”. Today was the premiere and as I expected, Amy was nervous (personally, I would have been a basket case). Because this was Amy’s first show and she was not a veteran TV personality and the topic for the show was not ordinary Food Network fare, I did not have high expectations for the premiere. But I believe that Amy pulled it off. I liked the fact that Amy talked as though you were sitting across the counter from her. I liked the idea of something different in the food department. I liked being able to see what was going on. There was very little presto, change-o in the preparation. She also explained why she did some of the things that she did. Another big plus, she used ordinary ingredients. I learned a new technique, beat your potatoes with a rolling pin (interesting).
My only negative comment: Amy, you really need a new hairdo.

Menu: Cheese Puff Appetizers (Gougere Choux)
Pan Roasted Potatoes
Grilled Flank Steak with a Red Wine and Shallot Sauce
Profiteroles with Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce

The food looked good and very manageable for most cooks. I plan on making this meal soon.

All in all, a good show. Congratulations, Amy!

The Food Network website should have the recipes up by tomorrow.

No comments: